Teignmouth Tournament – Sunday 13 until Sunday 20th  September 2020

 

Dear Fellow Bowler & Competitor
 
The Committee of The Teignmouth Open Bowls Tournament have discussed, in depth, the on going situation with the Covid-19 Pandemic.
 
Taking on board Government health advice, & Bowls England's decision on the 17th March to cancel all outdoor National Events, we have had to come to the decision to CANCEL THE 2020 TOURNAMENT.
 
Whilst it may seem slightly early to make this decision, with nearly 6 months still to go to the opening day, there are a number of issues which have forced us into making this decision quickly;
 
  • The 3 local clubs being used for the event will not open as normal in April & they are all planning to review the situation in early June.  Even if, as we all hope, the Pandemic is under control by then, & the clubs decide to re-open, this would then only give us just over 2  months in which to organise the whole event.
  • Some people have already booked accommodation for the week & any deposits already paid would be put at greater risk, if we made a late decision.
  • We are in the process of speaking to all of our major sponsors. You will appreciate this is a highly sensitive & difficult situation to talk to them about when they are likely to be in the midst of substantial business downturn & maybe laying off staff members. Understandably some have already indicated they will be withdrawing their support, as sponsorship becomes a low priority for them.
  • Most importantly is that, whilst we continue to attract many younger bowlers, the demographics of our age group for a large number of our competitors falls very much into the "high at risk category". Unless we have Government confirmation that the Pandemic is officially over, then we cannot expose people to mass public gatherings, on the green, in the clubhouse and in the changing rooms.
Bowls England intend, subject to the Pandemic clearing, to link into a "Festival of Bowls" later in the season. We have no idea how this will format, but we will do our very best to either link into this or at least hold some form of smaller event during w/c 13th September in Teignmouth/Shaldon, if the whole situation has been cleared.
 
We have a few entries already paid for for this year. If you wish to have these refunded please let one of the committee members know & we will sort it for you. If you are happy to carry these entry fees over to 2021 then you will already have a confirmed entry for next year.
 
We are determined that this will not be the end of the Tournament. At the moment the dates for our 86th tournament in 2021 will be SUNDAY 12th - FRIDAY 17th SEPTEMBER 2021.
 
In the meantime the whole committee hope each of you stay safe & healthy during these unprecedented, difficult times.
 
In you require anymore information, again, please fell free to contact any of the committee members.
 
We all hope to see you on the outdoor greens, sooner rather than later, this Summer.
 
Best regards
 
Phil
 
Phil Downs (Chairman)